Warriors beat Black and Whites in historic fixture


Wigan Warriors put in a strong second half performance to see off Hull FC and maintain their 100% start to the season.

The game was already memorable as the first Super League fixture to be played outside of Europe.

The writing was on the wall early for Hull when new recruit Bureta Faraimo was forced off with concussion, meaning Jake Connor was drafted into the winger role.

Liam Marshall, who got the nod in the side ahead of Joe Burgess, repaid Shaun Wane’s faith in him by getting the first try of the game with a good run from inside his own half. Sam Tomkins was successful with the conversion attempt to forge a six point lead for the Warriors.

A six point lead soon became a 10 point lead as Marshall scored an almost identical try in the corner thanks to a break from Oliver Gildart that put him through. Tomkins hit the post with his conversion attempt but it was still a two-score lead.

It was looking ominous for Hull, but were able to pull back through in-form winger Fetuli Talanoa who managed to utilise the space he had perfectly to ground the ball. Sneyd missed with the conversion attempt but the Black and Whites were back to within one try.

Soon after, they were gifted an equalising try as Marshall went from hero to zero by colliding with Morgan Escare allowing for an easy try for Jordan Abdull. Sneyd hit the conversion and all of a sudden, Wigan’s hard work was coming undone.

A much timely penalty before half time from Tomkins gave the Warriors something to build on going into the second half.

An already patched up Hull side was forced into another change as 2016 Man of Steel Danny Houghton was forced off with an injury too. One which will ultimately bring concern to those associated with the club.

The second half certainly breathed new life into Wigan and they got back into a commanding lead just four minutes into the second half as Ryan Sutton managed to cross over. Tomkins nailed the conversion to re-establish their two point advantage.

It soon got worse for the Black and Whites as Ben Flower used his power to get over the try line. Tomkins was once again on target to complete a stunning win for the Warriors.

One sour note of the match was the scuffle between Tomkins and Josh Griffin, which saw both men sent to the sin bin.

Ultimately, Wigan held onto their lead and claim a second consecutive win. It is a really strong start which is what they needed after a poor 2017 season. They have a week off before a big game at Warrington.

As for Hull, they couldn’t build on their big win against Huddersfield and will go back to the drawing board when they land back on British shores. They have a week off before travelling to 2017 League Leaders Castleford Tigers.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: