Wolves get off mark with derby victory


Warrington Wolves claimed their first win of the season with an 18-10 victory at bitter rivals Widnes Vikings.

The Wolves had to absorb some early pressure before getting their first try through Ryan Atkins. A cross field kick from Dec Patton was fielded brilliantly by the England international who grounded the ball to score. Bryson Goodwin was off target with the kick, but it was still a Warrington lead.

It was soon two tries in the first 15 minutes for the visitors as the Wire caught Widnes out from a tap penalty, allowing Ben Currie to put Stefan Ratchford into the gap to score. Goodwin was able to score the conversion this time to extend the lead to 10 points.

It was crucial that Widnes got the next try and they did before half time through Kristian Inu. He collected Joe Mellor’s kick in the in goal area to score. Tom Gilmore was off target with his conversion attempt but it was something for Widnes to build on.

But straight into the second half, Warrington got the next try as Atkins grabbed his second with what was a carbon copy of his first one. The only difference was that this time it was Ratchford who supplied the kick. Goodwin was on target again with the conversion to reinstate their two try lead.

The match was quite physical but it was the indiscipline of the Vikings that provided the next points as Bryson Goodwin was able to score a penalty. Two points that would prove vital in the course of the game.

There was then a bizarre incident in which referee Phil Bentham was forced off the field with hand and neck injuries after colliding with Chris Houston. The incident was put on report by replacement referee Scott Mikalauskas.

Widnes were then able to get back into the game through Inu again as he gathered Gilmore’s kick and grounded the ball under pressure. Gilmore scored the conversion to make it an eight point game.

The game threatened to spill over a few times with players coming to blows. Warrington had to finish the match a man light after Mike Cooper was given a yellow card for a professional foul. However, Widnes couldn’t build on it.

It means Warrington have achieved their first victory under Steve Price. They face Wigan Warriors at home next week.

As for Widnes, it is a second consecutive defeat, but certainly not a bad performance. They face reigning champions Leeds Rhinos next Sunday.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: