FC fall agonizingly short against St George


Hull FC suffered late heartbreak against St George-Illawara Dragons to leave Australia empty handed.

They have lost both games down under after losing against Wigan Warriors last week.

Hull did start well and took the lead when Jake Connor’s clever kick found Albert Kelly in acres of space to score. Marc Sneyd nailed the conversion in front of the posts for an early six point advantage.

However, the lead would only last five minutes as Tim Lafai was able to touch down out wide after some good team movement. Gareth Widdop was able to kick the conversion to level the scores.

Then just ten minutes later, the Dragons had the lead after great footwork out wide from New Zealand international Jason Nightingale to evade the defenders and score in the corner. Widdop missed the conversion this time but it was a four point lead for the Dragons.

In what was a really competitive first half, Hull took the lead again just before half time as Kelly was able to evade the tackles and find his way to the try line. Sneyd was successful once again with his conversion attempt as FC led by two points going into half time.

The second half would be crucial for both teams and it was the Dragons who retook the lead when good movement out wide allowed Nene McDonald to exploit the space and score. Widdop was unsuccessful with the kick meaning their lead was just two points.

McDonald was able to stretch the lead out to six points as his teammates once again created the space and he was able power over the defender to score. Widdop was again unsuccessful with his kick, but it meant the Dragons had a one try cushion.

That cushion was soon wiped out by Liam Watts. The prop showed great footwork to get to the line and score. Sneyd was once again successful with the boot to level matters once again.

But with just five minutes left, the Dragons won it when Jai Field took advantage of a tiring defence and went through the huge gap that they had left. Widdop added the conversion to confirm victory for the Dragons.

Considering the injuries Hull had, they put up a great effort against a Dragons side that continues to improve. St George will host Brisbane Broncos in their first NRL match on the 8th March.

Meanwhile, Hull will travel to West Yorkshire to take on Castleford Tigers.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: