FC beat Wolves in an ill-tempered affair


Hull FC beat Warrington Wolves 21-12 at the KCOM Stadium in what turned out to be a highly competitive game.

It was a slow start to the game, with both sets of players adjusting to the freezing conditions.

Hull’s tactics from the outset were pretty clear as they took the two points at the first opportunity as Toby King was punished for an incorrect play the ball. Marc Sneyd kicked it and put the Black and Whites in front.

A 40/20 from Jake Connor then set up the play for the first try of the game as Hull were able to spread the ball out wide to Bureta Faraimo who was able to touchdown. Sneyd scored the conversion to stretch the lead out to eight midway through the first half.

Sneyd then stretched the lead out to 10 with another penalty as Stefan Ratchford was punished for holding on in the tackle.

The second half started at boiling point as Warrington went a man down as Declan Patton was sent off for a high tackle on Faraimo. Both captains were warned about any further scuffles. Sneyd scored the resulting penalty to stretch the lead out to 12.

However, the lead wasn’t 12 for long as Carlos Tuimamave marked his return to the side with a try as he exploited a huge gap out wide. Sneyd scored the conversion to make it an 18 point lead.

Just when it was looking like it was game over, the visitors found a way back in as Jack Hughes was able to cross over. Ratchford scored the conversion to cut the lead to a two score one.

Just four minutes later, Ryan Atkins was able to get his record equalling try as he moved level with Lee Briers for the most Super League tries for Warrington. Ratchford scored the conversion again to drag the Wolves right back in it.

Hull then moved towards killing the game as Sneyd hit another penalty as Tom Lineham was punished for a high tackle. They moved back two scores ahead.

However, in a bizarre twist it was soon 12 a side as Liam Watts was sent off for throwing a headbutt at Dominic Crosby after the pair came together in a tackle.

It didn’t prove to be much of a leveller as Sneyd hit a drop goal to consolidate the result.

Hull have now bounced back after two straight defeats in the Super League. They travel to Leeds Rhinos next Thursday.

As for Warrington, it is a first defeat in two after their recent resurgence. They face current leaders St Helens next Friday.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: