Toronto Wolfpack ease to victory in Sheffield


Toronto Wolfpack claimed a ninth straight victory as a brilliant first half performance earned them 42-16 win at Sheffield Eagles.

The Wolfpack raced into a 28 point lead in the first half and didn’t look back, despite a short Sheffield revival.

It was the visitors who got in first after just five minutes as Blake Wallace held off the attempts of three tacklers to get over and score. He then converted his own try to drag the Wolfpack out in front by six points.

Then just six minutes later, the Wolfpack doubled their lead after a great pass from Gareth O’Brien to Andrew Dixon, who managed to get in and score. Wallace managed to score another easy conversion to ensure the Wolfpack took full advantage.

Just when the Eagles were looking like they may get back into the game, the Wolfpack strolled through again as Dixon once again found himself on the ball, and he took advantage of a scrambling Sheffield defence to get in and score his second try. Wallace was once again on target to make it 18 points in 18 minutes for the Canadian side.

The visitors were starting to have fun in the first half and got in again with some well worked attack to get Liam Kay in for his first try of the night. Wallace nailed the touchline conversion to stretch their lead out to 24.

The left edge of Toronto was proving to be a real problem for Sheffield as they scored from there again before half time, this time it was Chase Stanley who got in and scored. Wallace couldn’t quite get the conversion this time, but the Canadians were well in front.

Sheffield had put a lot of effort into the first half and they eventually got a try, taking advantage of the first defensive mistake from the Wolfpack as O’Brien dropped a bomb by the posts. From the resulting scrum, Ben Hellewell managed to cross and score. Pat Walker missed the conversion, but it gave the Eagles a flicker of hope going into half time.

The first try would be crucial in the second half, and it was the Wolfpack who got it, to settle any nerves that might have been there at half time as a kick forward was grounded just in time by Ricky Leutele. Wallace missed the conversion, but they had their 28 point lead back.

Any hope of a Sheffield comeback was definitely dashed after Nick Rawsthorne managed to get in and score. He did however have to go off injured after a defender landed on his ankle. Wallace missed the conversion again, but they still had a commanding lead.

However, Sheffield were not done and proved it as they got another try back through the full back Josh Guzdek, who showed good feet to get over. Walker scored the conversion this time to bring the Eagles into double figures.

The Wolfpack were then able to reassert their dominance not long after as their offload game once again proved too much for Sheffield and this time Andy Ackers was the benefactor. Wallace was back on target to take the Wolfpack past 40 points.

The game was escaping Sheffield, but it didn’t stop them trying and they grabbed another try as Brad Knowles managed to get through the middle and score. Walker was successful with the conversion again to add a little bit of respectability to the score.

That was the last of the scoring and it means Toronto have gone eight points clear at the top of the Championship. They now have a week off before they travel to Swinton Lions next Sunday.

As for Sheffield, they remain firmly in the playoff hunt, but may be disappointed by the setback. They travel to Widnes Vikings next Friday for their rearranged fixture.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: