Dragons hold off Wakefield fightback


Catalans Dragons held off a second half comeback from Wakefield Trinity to beat them 25-18 at Magic Weekend.

The first half was a bit of a slow burner, but it was the Dragons who scored first as Fouad Yaha got on the end of Tony Gigot’s kick to score. Gigot missed the conversion, but the French side still had the advantage.

Gigot then soon got in on the act himself by getting a try of his own, despite the furious calls from the Wakefield fans for a forward pass by Yaha in the build up. He then converted his own try to bring the Dragons into double figures.

Trinity were then architects of their own downfall as they gave away a silly penalty just before the break, and Gigot took the chance to add another two points to make it 12-0 at half time.

The West Yorkshire side needed a reaction in the second half, and they got one as they scored a try inside just two minutes, as Kyle Wood managed to get over to finish a brilliant counter attack. Ryan Hampshire converted to half the deficit.

Wakefield’s half time deficit was then wiped out as Danny Kirmond managed to power his way over from short range. Hampshire scored the conversion, putting it in off the post, to level the scores again.

Trinity were soon in front as Hampshire scored a penalty as the Dragons defence was starting to crumble under the pressure that Wakefield were putting them under.

The game then swung back the way of the Dragons. Just after Mason Caton-Brown was denied by the video referee, Benjamin Garcia managed to power over from short range for Catalans. Gigot converted to reinstate the Dragons’ six point lead.

But with just ten minutes to go, Wakefield got the game level again as Ben Jones-Bishop managed to finish a brilliant move out wide. Hampshire missed the conversion, and it proved to be a crucial miss.

Just when it looked like the match was heading to Golden Point, Gigot managed to get a drop goal with three minutes to go and give the Dragons the advantage.

The Dragons then made sure of the points as Garcia managed to get in for a second try.  Gigot converted to confirm a seven point victory for the Dragons.

The result means the Dragons stay in third place in the Super League, just four points behind Warrington Wolves in second. They are back in Challenge Cup action on Thursday at Hull FC.

As for Wakefield, they remain in sixth place, just outside of the top five on points difference. They have a week off before they host Leeds Rhinos on 7th June.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: