Saints put on a Magic display to beat Tigers


St Helens reinstated their six point lead at the top of the Super League with a masterful 36-16 win over Castleford Tigers.

Despite the Tigers having the better start early on, it was the Saints who took the lead as Tommy Makinson scored after getting the ball out wide. Lachlan Coote missed the conversion but it was Saints who held the early advantage.

Then just seven minutes later, it was the turn of the other Saints winger Regan Grace to get in on the act as he got in in the corner. Coote was again off target with the conversion, but it was still a commanding lead for the Saints.

Saints were having fun and just three minutes later, they grabbed their third try as Jonny Lomax supported James Roby’s break to score. Coote scored the conversion this time to drag Saints’ lead out to 14 points.

The Saints attack was having a real hot spell and they grabbed a fourth try after just 25 minutes as Theo Fages was cleared by the video referee after a suspicion of a double movement. Coote converted to bring Saints up to 20.

But after half an hour, Saints were dealt a blow when Roby was given a yellow card for a suspected crusher tackle on Jacob Trueman.

Cas instantly made the extra man count as Grant Millington collected a deflected kick to score under the posts. Peter Mata’uita converted to bring the Tigers onto the board.

It stayed that way until half time.

The second half started with a Saints try after just six minutes as Jack Ashworth dove over under the sticks after they got a penalty. Coote converted again to reassert their 20 point lead.

The games intensity then went down but Coote managed to get a try of his own after an hour as he got on the end of Zeb Taia’s offload to score. He managed to convert his own try to all but kill the game off.

Then just seven minutes later, Kevin Naiqama got in on the act as he showed great feet to get around the defence and score out wide. Coote missed the conversion, but that took Saints lead out to 30.

As the game wound down, the Tigers found some more opportunities and they found a try through Chris Clarkson, who avoided the cries from the Saints players and fans that he was held up before he got the ball down. Jordan Rankin missed the conversion but Cas had at least earned a bit of pride.

During a game where the Tigers didn’t have a lot to shout about, they did manage to score another try, this time Greg Eden was on the end of a beautiful pass to score out wide. Rankin scored the conversion this time to add a little more respectability to the scoreline.

Saints are starting to runaway with the league leaders, they are six points clear of second placed Warrington Wolves with seven games to go. They take on Wakefield Trinity next Saturday in the Challenge Cup.

As for Castleford, they will want to regroup quickly and get their playoff campaign back on track. They have a week off before they host Huddersfield Giants on 7th June.

One thought on “Saints put on a Magic display to beat Tigers

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: