Pilks beat St Pats in fiery contest


Pilkington Recs have beaten Wigan St Patricks to temporarily go six points clear at the top of NCL Division One.

It was a fiery contest that saw Pilks lose five players through the course of the game, had their coach sent off and also had a man in the sin bin. St Pats had two in the sin bin as well.

It was a fast start for the hosts, who scored 12 points in 12 minutes to put the league leaders on the back front early on.

To make matters worse for the visitors, coach Liam Bostock was then sent from the touchline after talking to the referee and then hooker Ryan Liptrot who had a call to say his girlfriend had gone into labour.

But the league leaders did get back in it half way through the first half as Kyran Knapper managed to get in by the posts. He then converted his own try to half the deficit.

Pilks were having a real purple patch and got another try just five minutes later as Chris Clayton powered over. Knapper converted again to bring the league leaders level.

The home side were able to see off that pressure and get another try before the break from short range. The conversion was missed, but the Wigan side had their lead back.

The bad news was coming in chunks for the away side and even more came their way as Jonathan Frodsham came off with a shoulder injury while Tom Chisnall was forced off with a dislocated hip. Unsurprisingly, the latter needed an ambulance to treat  him on the sideline.

But just when it looked like St Pats were going to go into the break in front, their St Helens rivals showed their class as they picked up another try as Ryan Hilliard intercepted a pass and got past a few challenges before going the length of the field to score. Knapper missed the conversion, meaning the scores were level going into the break.

It was a fiery game and it all kicked off after an hour as all 26 players flooded in and both players were temporarily down to 12. St Pats then had another man put in the bin for a shoulder charge five minutes later.

The league leaders then lost another two players to injury as Jordan Morris and then Cameron Brown had to come off and were not able to carry on.

The only points in the game came in the final ten minutes as Knapper slotted over two penalties to ensure the win for Pilks, who maintain a comfortable lead at the top. They go to Dewsbury Moor Maroons next week.

As for Wigan St Patricks, they miss the chance to close the gap on York Acorn in the top two. They host Stanningley next week.


One thought on “Pilks beat St Pats in fiery contest

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: