Saints thrash Wakefield to get semi final spot


St Helens thrashed Wakefield Trinity 48-10 at the  Totally Wicked Stadium on Saturday to book their place in the Challenge Cup Semi Finals.

It was a fast start for the Saints, who scored with their first attack of the game as Lachlan Coote was put through. He then converted his own try to make it a six point advantage.

But it wasn’t so simple for St Helens as Trinity levelled just three minutes later as Jack Croft, making his debut after a late withdrawal from Mason Caton-Brown, scored out wide. Danny Brough scored the conversion to bring the two teams level.

It was a tight start, made evident by Saints taking the two points when the opportunity was there. Trinity were punished for holding down, and Coote took the penalty and scored to drag the Saints out in front by two points.

Then half way through the first half came the moment of the game as Tommy Makinson just kept himself in the field of play before a spectacular dive into the corner to score. Coote converted to bring the home side eight points in front.

The Saints were starting to have fun as Dominique Peyroux intercepted a pass before offloading to Kevin Naiqama who ran 50m to feed Morgan Knowles who went over to score. Coote missed the conversion this time, but Saints were still in a comfortable position.

The Saints fullback then got the chance to make up for that miss as they got another penalty in shooting range. This time, Ryan Hampshire was sent to the sin bin for a ball steal. Coote made no mistake with the penalty to bring Saints out to a three score lead.

The home side took advantage of their man advantage again as Regan Grace got in out wide. Coote missed the conversion again, although he did put another two points on the board with another penalty just a few minutes later.

Wakefield needed a big start to the second half to give themselves a chance and they did as Tyler Randell collected his own grubber kick to score. Brough then missed the conversion, but Trinity were in double figures.

Just when it looked like the away side had all the momentum, Saints scored again to all but kill the game as Zeb Taia walked in to score. Coote converted to bring Saints past the 30 point mark.

Saints then got another try with just 15 minutes to go as Mark Percival brilliantly supported a break to go in and score on his return. Coote converted once more to edge Saints closer to 40.

The home side knew the game was done, but they were still alive to situations as Taia intercepted a loose pass and fed Jonny Lomax to score. Coote converted once again to break 40 points now.

The last word would go to Saints as well as they worked the ball out wide and Naiqama managed to score. Coote missed the conversion and the chance to make it 50 for the Saints.

It would not matter as they achieved safe passage to the Challenge Cup Semi Finals. In the meantime, they travel to bottom club London Broncos next Sunday in the Super League.

As for Wakefield, they welcome Leeds Rhinos in a West Yorkshire derby next Friday night.

One thought on “Saints thrash Wakefield to get semi final spot

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: