League One Review: Leaders Whitehaven lose at Newcastle

Newcastle Thunder 26-20 Whitehaven

It was a close first half, Jesse Nandye had given the visitors the lead before Rhys Clarke levelled. Michael Lewis converted to edge the Thunder into the lead. Jake Moore then kicked two penalties to give the league leaders the lead going into half time.

Moore then got Whitehaven’s second try just seven minutes into the second half. He then converted to put his side 14-6 ahead.

The Thunder responded with a try from Alex Clegg, which went unconverted meaning they trailed by four points midway through the second half.

The home side then scored two tries in six minutes to put them eight points up. Lewis Young and Lewis added a try to go with his conversions. He converted both efforts to put the Thunder 22-14 ahead with less than ten minutes to go.

Whitehaven, who had only lost once all season prior to this game, threatened to make it a grand stand finish as Callum Phillips went in with just five minutes left. Moore converted to leave just two points in the contest.

But the last word would go to the Thunder as Young grabbed his second right on full time to seal victory for the playoff chasing Thunder.

Oldham 28-4 Keighley Cougars

It was a perfect first half for the Cougars as tries from Danny Langtree, Anthony Bowman and Harry Aaronson, two of which were converted by Paul Crook had the Greater Manchester side 16-0 up at half time.

It was almost a flawless second half as Aaronson and Bowman grabbed their second tries of the day. Both were converted by Crook to bring Oldham up to 28 points.

The last word would go to the Cougars however as Jason Muranka got over with a minute to go. It wasn’t converted, but it gave the Cougars fans something to cheer.

Workington Town 54-16 Coventry Bears

It was a fast start to the game as Town scored two tries in the first six minutes. Tyllar Mellor and Jamie Doran scored the tries, one of which was converted by Carl Forber to put the home side 10-0 up.

Just before the 10 minute mark, the Bears were back in the game as Sam Davis got in and scored. Elliot Hall converted to bring the Bears back to within four points.

Before the 20 minute mark, Town were back in a comfortable position as Stevie Scholey scored. Forber converted again to put Town ahead by 12 points.

But once again, the Bears struck back as Jacob Jones got through. Hall missed the conversion, but scored a penalty just a few minutes later to half the deficit for the Midlands club.

The home side then took a stride to putting the game beyond their rivals as Perry Singleton and Calvin Wellington scored in the final two minutes of the half. Forber converted one of the tries to bring Town past 20 points.

The home side then scored four tries in the first 20 minutes of the second half to seal the game for them.

Mellor grabbed his second try, and there was other efforts from Ryan Fieldhouse, Russell Bolton and Tom Curwen, three of the tries were converted by Forber to bring the home side past 40 points.

The Bears would have something to show for the second half as Zak Fellows managed to score, but it was unconverted, leaving the Bears on 16 points.

However the last word would go to Town as Fieldhouse grabbed his second try right on full time. Surprisingly, Fuifui Moimoi stepped up to take the conversion and scored to round off a brilliant second half performance.

League Table

  1. Whitehaven 17
  2. London Skolars 15
  3. Oldham 14
  4. Hunslet 14
  5. Newcastle Thunder 13
  6. Workington Town 12
  7. Doncaster 12
  8. North Wales Crusaders 6
  9. Coventry Bears 6
  10. West Wales Raiders 0
  11. Keighley Cougars -1

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: