Late Drama in 1895 Cup

Doncaster 28-32 Sheffield Eagles

It was a fast start for the League One side as Sam Doherty crossed after just three minutes, Matty Beharrell kicked the conversion to put the Dons six ahead.

The Championship side then showed their character to claw their way back as tries from Jacob Ogden and Rory Dixon, both converted by Pat Walker, had the Eagles in front just 10 minutes later.

But the Dons would not lie down and were back in front by half time as Jez Litten scored a try, which Beharrell converted, and then the halfback added another two penalties to put the League One side ahead by four points.

The upset really looked to be on when Litten grabbed his second try, and Beharrell scored a try to add to his conversions, had Doncaster 28-12 up after an hour.

But Sheffield produced an unbelievable late comeback as two tries from Anthony Thackeray, including one right at the end, Ryan Millar and Jason Crookes won a dramatic South Yorkshire derby for the Championship side.

York City Knights 16-17 Batley Bulldogs

The first ever winners of the Challenge Cup are one year away from returning to Wembley after a dramatic late win at York City Knights.

In a tightly contested first half, it was York who drew first blood as Connor Robinson managed to get over after just four minutes. He converted to make it a six point advantage.

The visitors managed to get into half time level as Johnny Campbell managed to go over. Louis Jouffret scored the conversion to leave the game finely balanced heading into the second half.

A Robinson penalty had edged York back in front at the start of the second half, but then came the late action.

With just ten minutes to go, Batley scored two tries to put themselves in a brilliant position.

First, Sam Wood was able to get over and then Jouffret got in on the act with a try. Dave Scott scored one of the conversions to give the Bulldogs an eight point lead with seven minutes to go.

But York were not done as Will Jubb grabbed a try straight after the restart. Robinson converted and then added a penalty with the hooter already gone to take it into extra time.

Five minutes into Golden Point, Jouffret kicked the game winning drop goal to claim a brilliant win for the Bulldogs.

Widnes Vikings 54-6 Dewsbury Rams

It was the Rams who took the lead as Paul Sykes scored an early penalty after just two minutes.

From there, it was all Widnes as Anthony Gelling scored a first half hat trick, Sam Wilde scored two tries, and indivudal efforts from Lloyd Roby and Chris Dean had Widnes 36 points ahead at the break.

The Vikings scored all of their second half tries in a five minute spell. Roby scored another two to complete his hat trick and Brad Walker got in on the act to get Widnes past 50 points.

The last word would go to the Rams however as Daniel Waite-Pullan managed to score their first and only try of the night.

See also

Leigh claim thrilling 1895 Cup victory

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: