League One Review: Whitehaven stay on top


Coventry Bears 10-54 Doncaster

Two tries from Jason Tali had the Dons out in front after 20 minutes, Elliott Hall then got Coventry back into the game before tries from Kieran Buchanan and Jordie Hedges had the Dons comfortable at the break.

From there, the Dons put on a real show to confirm the two points. Tali completed his hat trick, Hedges and Buchanan both grabbed their second efforts of the afternoon and then other efforts from Connor Scott, Watson Boas and Kieran Lawton got the Dons past 50 points.

The last word would go to the Bears as Reece Rance got through and scored with a minute left.

London Skolars 6-28 Whitehaven

Tries from Kris Coward, Sam Forrester and Jordan Thompson had the Cumbrians in control heading into half time.

The Skolars responded first in the second half after a try from Lameck Juma, which was converted by Harry Smith, to get the capital side back to within 12 points.

But from there, it was all Whitehaven as Connor Holliday and Callum Phillips both got in on the act to confirm a brilliant confidence boosting win for Whitehaven.

North Wales Crusaders 14-6 Keighley Cougars

The Cougars took the lead here through Taylor Prell. Benn Hardcastle converted to put Keighley, who were looking for back to back wins, six points ahead.

A try from Earl Hurst and a penalty from Ben Stead had the Crusaders 8-6 ahead at half time.

Karl Ashall then scored the only try of the second half to win the game for the North Wales side.

Newcastle Thunder 48-10 Workington Town

Two tries from Misi Taulapapa and other efforts from Joseph Brown, Matthew Wright and Michael Lewis had the Thunder 22-0 up at the break.

Workington scored a crucial try at the start of the second half through Sean Penkywicz, but it was unconverted.

Newcastle then reinstated their 22 point lead as Taulapapa completed his hat trick, but once again it went unconverted.

Town, who needed to win to stay alive in the race for the playoffs, got back in it again as Jamie Doran got through and scored. He scored the conversion as well to get them back to within 16 points.

From there, Newcastle took control and claimed a crucial victory. Lewis completed his hat trick with two more tries, Wright grabbed his second and another effort from Rhys Clarke completed the win for Newcastle.

Oldham 56-6 West Wales Raiders

A hat trick from Danny Langtree and other efforts from Cameron Leeming and Jamie Greenwood put Oldham 28-0 up at the break.

Leeming then grabbed his second and other efforts from Gareth Owen, Harry Maders and Zack McComb ensured the Greater Manchester side started the second half in similar fashion.

The Raiders would grab something for their efforts as Steve Parry managed to cross. Phil Cowburn converted to bring the Raiders up to six points.

That would be as good as it got for them however as Oldham showed their dominance by running in two more tries. Matthew Wilkinson got them both to ensure a 50 point winning margin for promotion chasing Oldham

League Table

  1. Whitehaven 19
  2. Oldham 18
  3. Newcastle Thunder 17
  4. Hunslet 16
  5. London Skolars 15
  6. Doncaster 14
  7. Workington Town 12
  8. North Wales Crusaders 10
  9. Coventry Bears 6
  10. Keighley Cougars 1
  11. West Wales Raiders 0

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: