Huddersfield claim huge win at Salford

Posted by

Huddersfield Giants did their survival chances no harm with a stunning 36-18 victory at the Salford Red Devils on Thursday night.

It was actually Salford who started the game better and they got through after just three minutes as Tyrone McCarthy got through. Krisnan Inu missed the conversion, but it was still first blood for the hosts.

It soon got even better for them as they worked the ball well out wide for Ken Sio to finish. Inu was off target again, meaning their lead was only eight points.

The Giants, rocked by an early injury to Adam O’Brien, then got back in it as Matty English did well to power over. Lee Gaskell converted to bring the Giants back to within two points.

It soon got even better for the visitors as they took the lead on the stroke of half time as Innes Senior was put through by his brother Louis to score. Gaskell was off target again, but the Giants led by two points at the break.

The first score of the second half was crucial and it was the Giants who got it and Darnell McInotsh rose highest from a kick to score. Gaskell was off target again in a barren night for the kickers.

After defending valiantly, Huddersfield then let one slip as Kris Welham was able to slide over. Inu missed once more as Salford got back to within one try.

Just before the hour, Huddersfield had their emphatic lead back as Kruise Leeming collected his own kick to score. Gaskell missed once more but the Giants still led by six points.

Just three minutes later, the Giants seemed to put the game beyond Salford as Ukuma Ta’ai broke free and scored. McIntosh took over kicking duties and nailed his first conversion to put the Giants 12 points ahead.

The game definitely got away from Salford when Jake Wardle showed great determination to get the ball own on the line. McIntosh converted to put his side ahead by 18 points.

But then Salford grabbed another try to just give them a glimmer of hope McCarthy came out of dummy half to grab his second try of the night. Inu scored the conversion from bang in front of the posts to reduce their deficit to 12 points.

The final word would go to Huddersfield however as McIntosh grabbed his second try of the night. He converted right on full time to complete an impressive individual and team performance.

That was Huddersfield’s first win since their 55-2 win over Hull FC at Magic Weekend. They will hope to back that up when they welcome Catalans Dragons to the John Smiths Stadium next Friday.

As for Salford, that result will have done their top five hopes some damage. It doesn’t get any easier for them as they travel to Warrington Wolves next Friday night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.