Betfred Super League Round Up: Saints win derby spoils, Warrington lose ground

Huddersfield Giants 28-32 Catalans Dragons

Catalans started quickly and were 12 points up after just 16 minutes, all points came from Sam Tomkins, who scored two tries and two conversions.

Halfway through the first half, the Giants halved their deficit as Innes Senior went over. Jacob Wardle converted to make it just a six point ball game.

The Dragons then took back control of the game, as Tomkins completed his hat trick and Brayden Williame put them in front by 16 points.

But the last word of the half would go to the Giants as Wardle got in on the act with a try. He then converted to ensure they trailed by just ten points going into half time.

Any hope of a Giants comeback was quashed 20 minutes into the second half as Jodie Broughton scored two tries in seven minutes to double Catalans lead.

But then Huddersfield fashioned a comeback as Senior grabbed his second try, Darnell McIntosh and Lee Gaskell also scored to bring the Giants back to within two points, but they couldn’t find the levelling score.

St Helens 32-10 Wigan Warriors

The Warriors got the first points on the board as Zak Hardaker kicked a penalty after seven minutes.

But the league leaders hit back with a try just four minutes later as Tommy Makinson got through. Lachlan Coote converted to put Saints four points ahead.

Hardaker then kicked another penalty in front of the posts to narrow the margin.

The last word of the half did go to Saints as Makinson went through for his second try. Coote converted to put Saints eight points ahead at the break.

The second half belonged to Saints as tries from Coote, Kevin Naiqama and Jonny Lomax took Saints past 30 points.

Wigan did then grab a try for their efforts as Hardaker scored with 15 minutes to go. He converted to bring the Warriors into double figures.

Wakefield Trinity 16-36 Castleford Tigers

After a slow start, Wakefield hit a purple patch and scored a try through Kyle Wood and Danny Brough added a penalty to put Trinity eight points ahead.

Castleford hit back as Tuoyo Egodo scored to half their deficit. The conversion was missed, meaning they trailed by four points.

The Tigers’ reprieve did not last long as Brough kicked a penalty to put Trinity into double figures.

The last word of the half went to Castleford as Oliver Holmes went over. The conversion was missed again to leave the Tigers trailing by just two points.

Castleford started faster in the second half and went in front after tries from James Clare and Jordan Rankin. Both were converted by Peter Mata’uita to put the Tigers 10 points ahead.

But Wakefield, led by Brough got another try through the Scottish international. He then scored the conversion to bring his side back to within four points.

The Tigers then ran riot in the last ten minutes as Clare scored twice to complete his hat trick, and Rankin also got his second to confirm a 20 point victory.

Warrington Wolves 12-22 Salford Red Devils

Salford took the lead early in this one as Ryan Lannon ran over after just four minutes. Krisnan Inu converted to make it a perfect start for the Red Devils.

Their lead lasted for 20 minutes before Jason Clark got over for Warrington. Dec Patton converted to level the scores.

However, Salford would go into half time in front as Inu scored a penalty in the closing stages of the half.

The visitors took this momentum into the second half. Two tries from Inu and another for Kris Welham put the Red Devils ahead by 16 points.

The last word would go to Warrington as Matt Davis got over. Patton converted again to put Wire into double figures.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: