Saints record back-to-back Grand Finals

St Helens made the Grand Final for the second consecutive year after a comprehensive 48-2 victory over Catalans Dragons at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Catalans took the lead in the opening couple of minutes as James Maloney scored a penalty after Saints were punished for a high tackle.

Soon after, Maloney was in the bin after a high tackle of his own on Regan Grace.

Saints punished Catalans on the next play, as James Roby scooted out of dummy half and gave it to Lachlan Coote, who finished it off. Coote then added the conversion.

Coote added two more at the halfway point of the first half, after Catalans were punished for not being set at the restart.

The hosts extended their lead before the break, as Tommy Makinson got free down the right hand side, and came back inside for Kevin Naiqama to score. Coote added the conversion for a 12-point lead.

Saints struck first in the second half after just two minutes. The ball was hacked forward and was missed by Makinson, but grounded by Naiqama for his second. Coote hit the post with his conversion attempt.

The home side got their fourth try 10 minutes into the second half. Zeb Taia took in a pass from Theo Fages and got clattered, but not before getting an offload away to Coote, who went over for his second. Coote was also back on target with his conversion attempt.

Five minutes later, Saints hit the 30-point mark, as Jack Welsby broke free and put Jonny Lomax over under the posts. Coote also added the conversion.

Once again, Catalans discipline let them down as they recieved a second yellow cardafter the hour. Benjamin Garcia was in this time for a late hit on Lomax.

Again from the next play, Saints punished the Dragons as Roby broke free again, and offloaded for James Bentley to score under the posts. Coote added the conversion.

Catalans were trying more expansive stuff, but a cutout pass was intercepted by Naiqama, who ran 70m to complete his hat-trick. Coote kept up his impressive night with the boot.

Saints got a second breakaway try soon after, as Grace took in a high ball 70m out, and ran all the way to add his name to the scoresheet. Coote once again added the conversion to put Saints two points off a half-century.

That result means a repeat of the 2014 Super League Grand Final, when Saints came out on top 14-6 at Old Trafford against bitter rivals Wigan Warriors.

As for Catalans, it brings to an end what had been their best playoff performance since 2014, when they also lost in the semi-finals at the hands of St Helens.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: